Sunday, April 13, 2014

Beauty in Nature: nascent spring / La magia de la naturaleza: primavera


It has been such a long time since my tree had leaves,
let alone a woodpecker pecking.

It has been a long time since I posted anything in this blog. Between the crunch of finishing a Certificate and completing a module in another one, the beginning of a course I teach, my research, my precious family, and life, my poor blog always gets postponed. To add to that, I had taken quite a few photographs for planned posts and, by mistake, I reformatted the disk in my camera. Lesson learned: unless you are sure, don’t push the button!

Florita, our brave winter guest, and Cesar in front of the Municipality.

Anyhow, last winter I started what would hope would be a series: “Beauty in Nature,…”. Unfortunately, I lost a significant amount of material by mistake, but as they say: “When the going gets rough, the rough get going”. I have to skip some posts t and move on. After all, it’s spring!

Here I go, inspection day.

Talking about spring, every year, I am in awe at the life brought by the arrival of the season. This has been a particularly cold and long winter, so even though mid-April is here, signs of spring are just appearing. In fact, the bird are singing, that’s about it. Seriously, I have been able to clean the lawn, but not the flower beds; we are expecting below zero temperatures for this week, so they are still protected by the fallen autumn leafs.

Flower bed covered with dry leaves.

But, I am getting ahead of myself, in this post I just want to show the state of my little garden at the end of winter, once the snow had melted. I took these photographs around April 9, just last week, when it was possible to use the camera without gloves, however numb my fingers may have become because of the cold.

Back garden, is it going to revive?

Broken, irreversible change ...

I also want show my stone, aka ladybug. I found it last spring buried in my front garden. As you can see from the photo, having lost much of its paint, it was in bad shape. I have no idea how long it had been buried; however, I am glad someone else thought this stone had the perfect shape to be painted as a ladybug. When I uncovered it, I interpreted it as a good omen.

Forgot to take a photograph before beginning the restauration.

As any child, I used to play with ladybugs; I loved it when any of these little bugs landed on my hand. Notably, many years later, when my daughter was expecting her second child and learnt the baby was girl, she (we) referred to her baby as ladybug. When this niñita, as we call them in my country, was born, I was going through hard time and the knowledge of this little being waiting to be part of my new life was a source peace and delight. Miss C. was 4 months old when we moved back to Canada in 2012; and, as soon as we met, we “clicked”. Today we have a very special bond. My grand-children are a source of balance; all three continue to bring delight and much happiness to my life.

Now that I am as good as new, where will I live?

This is a multifaceted post; from the weather and spring to the garden and the ladybug, and, from there, to grand-children. Oh well, such is life…

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hace mucho tiempo que no  publico nada en mi querido blog. Entre el momento crítico de terminar un Certificado y completar uno de los módulos de otro, el comienzo del curso que enseño, mi trabajo de investigación,  la familia y la vida misma, mi pobre blog siempre queda rezagado. Para agregar a todo esto, había tomado muchas fotografías que usaría en próximos publicaciones y, por error, reformateé el disco en mi cámara. Lección aprendida: ¡no presionar el botón antes de estar segura!

¡Tiempo que no veo las verdes hojas y a un pájaro carpintero carpintereando! verano 2013.

De cualquier manera, el invierno pasado comencé lo que esperaba fuese una serie titulada “La magia de la naturaleza, …”. Por mi error, perdí mucho material pero, como dicen: "A mal tiempo, buena cara”, tengo que saltar algunos entradas y continuar, después de todo: ¡Llegó la primavera!

Un poquito golpeado por el invierno, pero aquí estoy.

Hablando de la primavera, cada año quedo boquiabierta al ver la vida que regresa con la estación. Este invierno ha sido particularmente frio y muy largo y, a pesar de estar ya a mediados de abril, los signos de primavera  recién van apareciendo. De hecho, pronostican temperaturas bajo cero para  esta semana. Así es que, he podido limpiar el césped pero los lechos de flores están aún  protegidos por las hojas caídas el otoño pasado.

El árbol de mi casa ....

Pero me estoy adelantando, en esta publicación solamente quiero mostrar los estragos de este invierno en mi pequeño jardín, una vez derretida la nieve. Las fotos son del 9 de abril, la semana pasada, cuando fue posible tomar fotos sin guantes, aunque se me hayan congelado los dedos.

Comenzando la restauración de la niñita.

También quiero enseñar mi piedra, ladybug. La encontré enterrada en el jardín la primavera pasada. Como se puede apreciar, habiendo perdido mucha de la pintura, estaba bastante alicaída y tuerta. No tengo ni idea del tiempo que pasó enterrada, pero me alegra que alguien la haya pensado perfecta para ser transformada en niñita. Cuando yo la desenterré la entendí como buen augurio.

Tengo que admitir que hacer el ojo izquierdo a mano alzada no fue fácil:)

De niña me encantaban las niñitas, como las llamamos en mi tierra. Muchos años después, cuando mi hija esperaba su segundo bebé y le dijeron que era niña, no referíamos a ella como ladybug. Cuando esta niñita nació, yo estaba pasando por un momento difícil y el saber que este pedacito sería parte de mi vida en esta nueva etapa fue una fuente de paz y deleite. Miss C. tenía  4 meses cuando regresé a Canadá y, en cuanto nos conocimos, fuimos íntimas; hoy nos une un lazo muy especial. Mis tres nietos son una fuente de balance, deleite y felicidad.

Trabajar en mi jardín es muy relajador.

Este es un post multifacético, del tiempo y la estación al jardín, a las niñitas y, de ahí, a los nietos. ¡No importa, así es la vida!

2 comments:

  1. Marissita linda,

    This is so moving and heartfelt!
    Las fotos son lo de menos, lo importante es lo que sientes con la llegada de la Primavera y como eso repercute en tu estado de ánimo porque ya no hay mas hibernation!

    No dejes de publicar porque está muy lindo y siempre sabemos como te sientes y qué sientes a través de él!

    Go on!

    Much love

    Liliana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias por el comentario Lili, la idea es publicar de todo un poco; había tomado fotos de la ciudad; tiene algunas edificaciones interesantes. Tendré que volver a salir con mi cámara pronto.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete